common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Monday, December 19, 2022

Gifts and The Meaning of Christmas

 


Christmas is near.

This is the last full week before the big day and I’m nearly caught up with gift buying. I still need to buy for mom and dad. Last year I got him a hand held massager. Companies started making nice ones a few years ago. These plug in to charge. Gone are the days of the throw away battery (like C and D) run devices that last just into the new year. How many foot baths and neck massagers have gift givers tossed after a few weeks?

Everyone, at one time has fallen for a ‘sham wow’ knick knack. Two years ago I got my mom one of those heating pods where you snap a device the size of dime inside a gel infused bag. It looked impressive at the fair. The demonstrator, speaking in I-can’t-believe-how-amazing tones, showed the various uses for the magic device. I’m not a heating pad type of guy. Unless I’m in the throes of a nasty flu, I’m not likely to tuck in under a big comforter with an additional hot bag. But my mom loves the heating pods and heating blankets. I’m sure she has a small space heater in her room as well.

My gift was the perfect complement to a permanently cold body. But like all the other gifts it eventually collapsed, like a failed business stock price shortly after its initial offering. But heating pods, like foot massagers and neck rollers aren’t meant to solve a long term problem. They’re meant to bulk up our pile under the tree and give us something to open, use, and discard. They’re also new ideas when we really need something. Gift cards are no one’s first or last choice. A gift card is better than a pair of shoes that don’t fit or a biography about a person you don’t like (Hillary Clinton).

But cards are also lazy. It’s like, “I couldn’t think of anything so here’s my obligation”. Yes I know, I give them too. Some people have everything they need and more that they don’t. And they’ll likely take that ABBA greatest hits collection right back and spend the credit on an air can cleaner for their laptop anyway. A gift card just makes sense most of the time so why all the pressure? I guess it’s the hunt. That elusive, perfect gift and the story behind how you found it, is what still motivates us to buy for others. Sure it’s risky. But you gain hero status with a hard fought search for an original copy of “Sharknado”.

It's not so much the gift, but how it proves your knowledge of the giftee that is the real reward. In cases like this it’s the gifter that is blessed. I looked for a new model die cast model car yesterday for a friend. He’s a big fan of Ford Mustang cars and never misses a chance to point one out on the road. After 5 stores I gave up. The gift had to be purchased that day. No amount of 2-day shipping from a vendor in South Carolina would work. I did find an embossed sign with “Mustang Ave” on it at Hobby Lobby. I picked up a hat with the iconic logo embroidered on the crown for good measure. It was hardly a search high and low type of gift, but I was pleased with my pick. Hopefully he was too.

It’s better to give than to receive. We need reminders every year.

Gifts and giving is only one part of Christmas anyway. The big part is Christ, the reason we gather and celebrate. Does Christmas carry the same weight as Easter in the holy day calendar? Does it even matter?

Both concern the Savior, His birth and resurrection. What’s important to me is recognizing both days and letting the ornamentation blur into the background like colored lights. Nothing is wrong with parties, dinners, presents and pageants. Paul reminds us in Romans 14:5-6 “One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord;” In other words, don’t get caught up in which festivals carry more importance or which group has a greater claim on piety. The birth of Christ unites us, as does His death and resurrection.

The presents we buy for each other represent something selfless we do with our time and money. In a small way it’s an effort to be more like Christ. It’s easy to get carried away with events and gifts and travel, but in spite of the heavy consumerism of the holiday it’s still about Jesus.

The significance of the Savior of the World cannot be overstated. No gift, given or received can match what God the Father offered to us over 2000 years ago.

Merry Christmas!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment