common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Last Week: Writing Again

 


Last week was a working week for me.

What I mean is, my writing increased to include 2 to 3 hours of evening work. It’s been a little while since I’ve been able to write anything for money. Thankfully now I’m writing consistently again for a one-time project. I don’t know how long this contract is going to go, but for now it’s paying. That’s a good thing because I was running out of ideas for how to attract business. I’ve neglected my website and even my email marketing. Email marketing isn’t quite right but it sounds more professional. In truth I’m just bombing digital marketers with “got any work” inquiries. I won’t say it’s a complete waste of time, but so far I haven’t had any hits.

I really hate doing that. There’s a reason I never wanted to sell insurance. I hate cold calls and cold emails. It’s seriously obnoxious to be hit with texts and calls about the same nonsense. Currently I’m getting spammed by local house flippers who desperately want me sell. My method is to just ignore it.

How are MY messages received I wonder? “No! I don’t want it, now go away” is what I always imagine them saying. Probably because that’s what I do. But still, there is a type  of person that responds. Usually it’s just like “thanks, we’ll add you to the list”. That’s at least a glimmer of hope in a dark sea of ignores though.

But the glimmer isn’t enough for me. If I have to do only that to get business, I’ll do something else. I don’t want to write for online companies that bad. I’ll deliver Amazon packages or answer phone calls and help people fix their internet or something. That’s why this marketing stuff with Sam is a good start. It allows me to get better at writing in a particular industry while learning how to do key word research. Not to mention, learning about SEO and SEM strategies and putting that knowledge to good use. Once I get over the “I’m not in the mood to do this right now” attitude it usually goes well. Writing a big blog with various pieces and connections is a puzzle; it takes at least 2 of us to put it together.

One to write and one to say, “Fix this, change that. Is that a fragment? Do you even speak English?”

Depending on how quick Sam get’s me the updates, next week will probably look a lot like this one. Multiple nights spend cleaning up my outline, then watching an hour of Netflix before going to bed. I love and hate spending my evenings writing for work. The content is less fun than whatever newsy stuff I decided to read and regurgitate for my blog. But it keeps me accountable in a way that updating the blog could never do. I work harder when there is a project on the table. Even a project that drags a little and forces me to do more research than writing, is still better than no projects at all. Because as much as I like to pretend otherwise, I’m lazy when given the chance.

I don’t mean I’m lazy necessarily, let’s say…content with my effort. Does that make sense? I’m not great at that last 2% of finishing touches if it requires an extra hour. I’m more the “I’ve already worked on this for a whole two weeks and you’re telling me the formatting needs to look different? Umm, No. I’m done. You clean it up.” I guess it’s my fixation with checking boxes. I’ve gotten better at this over the years. Awareness is the first stage I suppose. I like to finish, because the stuff inside the package is better than whatever fancy ribbon you tie on it.

Not everyone sees it this way, editors for instance.

Speaking of ribbons and packages, Christmas forces me to tie up all my lose ends here before the New Year. I’ll be taking a week of vacation between Christmas and New Year’s Day. Before that I’ve got family in town so It’s closer to a week and a half of play time. I don’t want any projects to bleed into that if I can help it. I love Christmas. It’s not just the gift exchanges and seasonal joy, it’s the promise of hope through the birth of the Savior. I know it seems like Christmas is about families and travel and time off. Anyone unfamiliar with the roots of Christmas would think it’s an end of year bash, with eggnog and ugly sweater contests. Nothing wrong with any of that, but the importance will always be Christ and His death, resurrection and second coming.

Without Him, the celebration is empty. Merry Christmas!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment