common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Monday, May 1, 2023

OKC Run to Remember



I ran the OKC marathon yesterday. Time 5:43

 Actually, run is a bit of a misnomer. The first half was a run and the second was a combination of walking and jogging. The marathon didn’t go as planned, but at least it was a fun experience. I know it’s unusual to talk about a grueling affair like a marathon and call it “fun”. But as the route winds through different areas of the city, runners get to see locals out in groups cheering you on. More than one church had a choir outside singing gospel hymns as we passed by. Most of the neighborhoods had festive themes, I remember a boating theme and a gorilla theme. People waving flags, wearing costumes and handing out Jello shots and mimosas lined the roads. Kids could be seen everywhere holding funny signs “The End is Not Near” and “Run Like the Winded”. They shouted motivational statements “Looking Good” and “You’re Amazing” while trying to high fives from everyone. I passed at least two high school bands in full uniform playing selected ‘rah-rah’ pieces.  

The festive atmosphere is enough to try it sometime if you haven’t. I recommend the half marathon because it’s more accessible. I won’t say it’s easy, but with a little training most people can compete and enjoy themselves. The one is Oklahoma City is called the “Run to Remember” and has only been around for 23 years. It’s a fundraiser meant to honor the legacy of those who died in the bombing of 1995. You see the victim’s faces as you make the final turn before the finishing stretch. The organizers created a personal sign for each one, a thoughtful and somber gesture connecting runner to victim.

I rented an Air B&B (an old Victorian) which was very close to the downtown area. I searched for it based on it’s proximity to the start of the race. I had hoped to walk there but felt better about driving once morning came. I needed to get coffee from McDonalds before the race and that required having my car. But once I left, the police started putting up barricades on the roads. I wouldn’t have been able to get back to the old Victorian if I wanted to, the road now off limits. But I managed a decent spot right behind the memorial and walked to the start. I was an hour early at least. A pastor had given a short invocation before the race. I caught just the end of it and sang a worship song with the crowd. I was mostly impressed that in a large city in America, outright worship of God is still permitted even encouraged.

I expected the pace groups to be separated a little more than they were. Depending on your pace, you were expected to enter the mass of runners at various points. If you ran at a 10:00 minute pace (like me) you enter a few hundred yards behind the 9:00 pace and so on. It’s not ideal because it ensures a slow start for everyone except the handful of people in the front. But I found my pace pretty quickly after making the first turn. It’s a jumble of people (19,000 and up) who occasionally get in the way but it’s’ not hard to get around them. I started feeling winded around the 8 mile mark. I knew something wasn’t right because I shouldn’t have been so tired so soon into the run. My stamina and energy went down from there and never recovered. I managed to finish but it felt like a failure.

This happens on occasion and I don’t know what to do about it. I ran a short 3 mile practice run a few months ago on a chilly Thursday morning. For some reason I barely finished. Other days I could run 12 or 15 without much difficulty. I’m never sure what the reason is. Some days you just aren’t yourself.

Fortunately, the owner (or caretaker) of the Victorian Bed & Breakfast allowed me to come back after the race and shower before leaving. Checkout time was 10:00 am normally. I didn’t get back until after 1:00 pm. The race finish wasn’t near the start, something I probably should have known. That meant asking the volunteers how I could get back. I took the light rail back to the city center, thanks to a couple other runners who knew the layout of the downtown. But my biggest concern was that I’d get sick on the train. But I managed to hold it together on the short ride to the memorial, where my car was, and drive back to the Victorian. After a quick shower I packed and headed out.

I’ve been going through some soul searching ever since. What caused my meltdown? Should I even be doing marathons? How could I have been so unprepared? Whatever the answer, I wont stop the training runs. I do enjoy the Saturday group sessions and they keep me fit and improving my overall stamina. Event or no event, I’m a runner now.   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment