common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Sunday, May 21, 2023

A Run Through Tulsa

 


Renewal and Direction: Trusting God with the Plans

I went for a run yesterday through the downtown area. During May and June the runner’s group takes a break from marathon training. Most of us keep our regular Saturday morning time though. I only know that because I saw a handful of regulars out on the bike path. Routines keep us centered. As tough as it is to get up early, it’s the feeling of missing out that keeps me going.

When you start training for long distances it shrinks the city to manageable routes. You get to know the streets and neighborhoods on a comfortable level. I can still get lost, but never without some idea of where I’m at. The most common thing that happens is that I assume a landmark is a farther distance away than it actually is. I ran through some old downtown neighborhoods, crossed over the 51 highway and shot straight though the heart of the business district. I turned left at the Drillers ballpark (Oneok field) down Greenwood Avenue and into the Oklahoma State University parking lot. I thought this was about 3 miles. It was closer to 2.5, good guess.

 I took a slightly modified route back through the city and old neighborhood. This time I went east toward the public bike trail. The trail leads to the Gathering Place and continues toward the river portion. The way back was 2 miles longer than I anticipated, poor guess.

 In all I covered just over 10 miles before getting back to my car. I figured I’d be in the 8 mile range. It’s tough to be exact, but I’ve always got a decent idea of where I’m at and how far I’ve run. Thanks to Runner’s World, I’ve developed a sense of direction when it comes to the city. Anytime I run past familiar spots, I remember what it looked like when I moved here.

It helps me gain perspective. It reminds me of the renewal taking place in my heart.

I’ve been coming downtown since at least 2009. I moved in 2008 and had at least one class at the community college TCC (Tulsa Community College). It sits at the edge of what most people would consider “downtown”. I didn’t venture into the Brady district until I took classes at Oklahoma State Tulsa campus. The Blue Dome district had the best restaurants and bars. One Communications professor I had took the whole class to McNellies Pub for pints and group discussion. This was a Master’s level course and everyone was over 21. It sticks in my mind because it was so different from the usual classroom experience I was used to. Right across the street was an El Guapo’s Cantina with a lovely open air balcony for those warm summer nights.

Tuesday nights meant $1 taco and $2 Tecates. Nothing says “college friendly” like endless beer and low quality meat till 2 am. My girlfriend met me there a couple of times for a cheap date and socializing. She always brought a few friends along, who doesn’t love chips and salsa? The new Drillers (baseball team) stadium went up in 2010. It’s a perfect location for what developers were trying to do in the city. The new facility ensured thirsty, hungry people would suddenly appear. “If you build it they will come” sorry, couldn’t resist. That’s about the time the Brady district, now called the Brady Arts district exploded. Summers are full of patrons at bars, restaurants, art shows and outdoor music at the park. A city block of high end condos looms large across from the stadium now. A brand new BMX indoor park and headquarters opened this year. 

Tulsa really nailed it on their summer downtown weekend experiences.

But all of this building has really changed the landscape in a short time. In my recent memory, the city has filled in so many of the empty lots and run down spaces I can hardly remember what existed before. It’s why I like to run through the downtown area. It’s an up close view of a city in renewal. Not all of the businesses that opened are still around of course. But there is life and energy where none existed. You can’t get the same experience in your car. Cities are notoriously difficult to navigate that way. All the stop lights and one way streets make noticing the changing landscape nearly impossible. Running allows for a more attentive look.

It also reminds me of the person I was just over a decade ago. The anxieties about the future seemed always present and in control. Everything changes when you move. A new life means a new job, friends, school, culture, church and even adjusting to the weather. We hardly ever end up where we aim, but maybe it’s for the best. Proverbs 16:9 says, “A man plans his way but the Lord directs his steps”. It’s oddly comforting to put your trust in the Lord and allow Him to point.

The renewal of the city means improvement, the renewal of my heart means direction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment