common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Saturday, January 14, 2023

The Group Dynamic in Running






I’m back training again for another marathon. 

Running is now squarely in my DNA. Like a lot of healthy shifts in lifestyle, it reminds you that fitness is now a way of life. It’s more than just an occasional hobby, like collecting rare coins and fixing up old cars. It’s both a social club and an important activity for ageing well. Don’t get me wrong, running isn’t the only way to do this. A lot of my friends play basketball in men’s leagues, while others have found pickle ball or jiu-jitsu. Nothing beats a consistent walk if that’s all your body allows for. The key is finding something to do with others, if you’re reluctant to exercise alone.

I’m naturally an introvert so making friends is important. It’s work for me to get out and meet people. I started to make jogging a year round activity 5 or 6 years ago. Back then I ran alone. I still contend, nothing clears your head like a long run at a steady pace. But at a certain point I wanted to compete. Races are a specific goal that forces you to meet a time standard and continually improve. For me the standard was to complete a half marathon under 2 hours and 20 minutes. Once met, I started to increase my pace. I ran a handful of half marathons and even joined a group that offered training.

Joining the group was a perfect next step in my running journey. It forced me out of a comfort zone of individual effort, where I could only improve marginally. We all need others in our lives to push us, even slightly, and to keep us honest in our goals. There are plenty of people in the group that just run for exercise and camaraderie. Either they aren’t competitive or don’t want to hassle with the whole racing experience, money for entry and travel. I’ve learned how to prepare for a big race through the training program my club puts together. But even without doing the race, the training is preparation for future performance.

If you’re like me, prone to work alone, the best advice is to let someone help you with a struggle. Now I’m talking about more than running. Apologies for the clunky transition. Individual effort can only get you so far. You become like a weightlifter who only does arms. His biceps are impressive but from the waist down he stands on pool cues. No one doubts his ability to do curls, his physique proves this out. But he lacks strength in his legs because he ignored everyone who tried to give him advice. 

When you do life completely alone you’re incomplete. Your missing strength might not be obvious yet to others, but without help it will soon show. Pride gets in the way of improvement. We all need group training in something. Group dynamics allow us to build where we’re weak. Sometimes admitting you can’t do something by yourself is the most difficult part. It means you aren’t as great as you thought, a necessary step that allows you to grow. Similarly, my writing is better when I take advice.

Now I’d rather run with a group than alone, even if races are very singular events. I’ve picked up advice on eating, sleeping and stretching before and after training runs. I can bounce ideas off others who are further into this lifestyle than me. The internet can provide forums for questions about injuries and what shoes to buy. But a group is a community.

Just today someone asked me about my marathon from back in October of last year. We hadn’t talked since the last session. I’d picked up a few pointers from him last time. The best thing he told me was to get in my miles before the big run, don’t cheat. Your legs will thank you. I can’t remember how many races he told me he’d done since he decided to get fit. He’s in his late fifties and he runs almost an hour faster than me. So I listen.

This year I’m loosely planning for the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon in late April. I believe I can knock 20 minutes off my total in the Justice Run from last year. That might be a little aggressive for a second race, but I know of a good group that can get me there.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment