common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Nerves and Excitement: The Marathon Awaits

 




Training and Learning How to Compete


I’m less than two months from my goal of running my first marathon. At the end of October, I’ll head down to Fort Worth for and test the legs.

My apprehension comes from the fact that this is a new thing for me. Not running, but running such a long distance race. The longest I’ve run before this was a half marathon. Technically I ran with a group of people doing a 19 mile run 2 years ago. I didn’t finish. It was a stretch for me just to hang around as long as I did. I’d guess I stopped at 17 miles; not bad for a exhausting, collapse-on-the-couch all day run.

But I wasn’t ready, the stress of that distance put too much pressure on my feet. Two weeks after the plantar fasciitis was so bad I had to stop jogging for months. Was that long distance the main culprit in my injuries? I’m not sure. But I am sure that it was too far for what my body could handle. I’m doing it smarter now. Every week is an opportunity to extend my distance, strengthen my legs and increase my endurance.

Since then I've been a little skittish about these longer distance crucibles. 

I'm Back with the same group I had to leave 2 years ago because of nagging foot pain, I’m in better shape than I was. Lighter, yes, but mostly just stronger and not pushing hard on the pace. This group has a theory about increasing distance, run slow. That’s not just some esoteric notion on how to run either. I’ve done a little research and it checks out. But it’s not the only theory on running. A lot of coaches and trainers like to use speed work. For at least one day during the week I try for speed work too. If nothing else it breaks up the monotony of slow jogging.

I use the treadmill instead of a high school track, so it’s not quite as fun. What can I say? I like to run early and when school is in session it’s not like I can rush on to the track and get my speed work in. The school security guards would probably tackle me. And it’s the only time I have to train like that. This being the second week of September the time is slipping away. I’m nervous about my performance. I think I just need to let the anxiety go and hunker down for a long run. I need to get this event behind me and have a better feel for how to train next time. For now I’m taking advice from the experts in the group who run at least one every year.

I’ve found that running is a solitary pursuit even in the longer group runs. It’s rare to run side by side with another person for more than a few miles. Pacing is too different. Even at only a second apart it won’t be long before the separation began. Then there are the midweek runs which take up more than half the total miles. Those are also done alone, at least in my case. But even with the loneliness, the value of group solidarity makes a difference.

For example, I mentioned to another member that without the rest of the group finishing ahead of me I would’ve stopped. When the others finish ahead of you (not all of them) it makes you want to finish too. It’s like they’re rooting for you to join them at the finish. It’s just enough of a motivator to push your tired body the last stretch in the heat. Alone, I would’ve just walked. But with a group I have a team that’s counting on me to finish.

This Saturday is 14 miles. I’m hoping for a nice chilly morning and a lot of energy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment