common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Saturday, June 19, 2021

Psalms 7: King David's Pattern

 


If you look close you’ll pick up on an order to the David Psalms.

It’s not present all the time or in the same way, but there is a pattern. He begins with a specific prayer for rescue from enemies and evil doers. He follows that with a commitment to hold himself to the standard of the law lest he be guilty of some personal sin. Third, he begs God to honor His word for the sake of His people. Fourth he reminds himself and others of the Lord’s righteous judgement. It’s like saying, don’t worry nothing escapes Jehovah. Lastly he gives thanks for victory.

Psalm 7 is a good example of this. The order really jumped out to me. Here is the first 2 verses, and David’s prayer for rescue “O Lord my God in You I put my trust; Save me from all those who persecute me; and deliver me, lest they tear me like a lion…” The Psalmist is desperate for God’s protection in time of stress.

 Security is the first concern of leadership, threats to your life are especially daunting. Without a measure of safety it’s impossible to do anything else, it’s a helpless feeling. During the Iraq war the US set up a “Green Zone” in Baghdad with hard checkpoints miles out. Why? They couldn’t conduct any other part of the war without first getting a secure area for their war planners, ambassadors and functionaries. David knows God’s protection is the starting place for comfort.

Next is his realization of his own sin. This is the honest ‘search my heart’ prayer that’s necessary when demanding retribution. A lot of us carry bitterness we aren’t aware of, not to mention jealousy or wrath. “If there is iniquity in my hands, If I have repaid evil to him who was at peace with me, or have plundered my enemy without cause, let the enemy pursue me and overtake me” This is what the Fear of the Lord looks like. David has too much respect for the Jehovah’s law.

 It sounds a little like confidence to me too. He is showing the Heavenly Father a pure innocent heart. Ever been truly wronged without cause? It makes you want to show your cards a bit like “Hey, I’ll show you my phone records if it helps your Honor!” You’re in the right and you can’t wait to prove it.

The next part sounds to me like a kid reminding his dad of that trip to Disney he promised but has yet to deliver on. I imagine an emotional David saying “You promised, remember? You did!” It’s not frustration as much as impatience. “Rise up for me to the judgment You have commanded! So the congregation of the peoples shall surround You; For their sakes return on high.” (verse 6-7) Part of this is the heavy responsibility that comes from the well-being of others. I don’t know if David is a king yet but he is thinking like a leader. He knows the importance of divine justice for those who’ve suffered.

In our culture we’ve lost a bit of this idea of a God that punishes the wicked, ancient cultures did not. Probably because of our comparatively peaceful existence, we put more emphasis on forgiveness. In David’s time small invading armies could wipe out a people overnight. Most were one heated battle away from destruction or captivity.

God’s judgement is swift but slow. “God is a just judge, and God is angry with the wicked every day. If he does not turn back He will sharpen His sword; He bends His bow and makes it ready. He also prepares for Himself instruments of death; He makes his arrows into fiery shafts.” (verse 11-13) Remember too that this is the God of the Old Covenant with the Hebrews. It’s important for those who have suffered serious injustice to know that Yahweh fights their battles, for us too.

There is a reason those from war torn societies, usually believe in God. They need to know that an eternal judgement is due those who practice violence against the innocent. When famine wipes out populations and genocide ruins tribes, it helps to know where hope is.

The psalmist finishes with giving of thanks for the yet unseen victory. “I will praise the Lord according to His righteousness, and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High.” (verse 17). It’s important to understand that David isn’t just ‘getting it off his chest’ in cathartic sort of way. There is some usefulness in that for sure. If you haven’t sat down at least once and blasted out an angry screed in writing, I’d recommend it. I always feel a little better afterwards, just don’t, you know... hit send.

He reminds himself always of the bigness of God. That’s the point of it all. David understands that God will rescue, comfort, punish and fight the battle because He has done it before. The praise isn’t premature; it’s recognition of the victory yet unseen.

Not all of the Psalms reflect this exact format, but you’ll see elements in nearly every one. If the pattern worked for David it can work for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment