common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Summer Training



Image result for running shoes silhouette
I finished a long run this morning that should’ve included less walking and more running. But who is to say what is too much and what is not enough? It’s July in Oklahoma and although we started early the heat and humidity are impossible to ignore.

I guess the whole 11.5 mile route we took on (my brother and I) lasted around 3 hours. Obviously we didn’t run the whole path. We took a lot of stops for water at various parks along the way, some in neighborhoods as well. I haven’t gotten one of those handheld bottles for long distance running yet. Chuck had one but we needed the stops anyway, just to stretch and catch our breath. I’ve found out though that if you stop too much it gets harder to get going again with each new start. We knocked out the first 6 miles or so with minimal breaks. It worked out well because the hilly part defined the first leg while the second half was mostly flat.

After 6 miles we started taking longer breaks and even walking long stretches. I blame myself mostly. I was sweating so severely that my shoes felt as if I’d stepped in a mud puddle. My feet were soaked and it caused the inserts to shift around inside the shoes and bunch up. I stopped multiple times and retied them hoping that some change in position would alter the shoes just enough and help me ignore what I assumed would be blisters later on. Nothing worked. I eventually took the inserts out and carried them. It felt better even with the lack of grip inside the shoe. They felt roomier too which isn’t great for jogging but I couldn’t keep going with the inserts sloshing around.

 During the last half of the run the temperature was in the low eighties. That doesn’t sound like much but with the added humidity and full sun it was stifling. Next time maybe we should leave a little earlier. But despite not getting in a full run start to finish, I still acclimated to the temperature and hills. Those two things I’ve been making an effort to attack better. The later stages of races require grit that (honestly) I don’t have yet. You get it by breaking your muscles down and going at whatever pace is necessary to keep moving. If running is impossible at the moment, walk. Walk for a while until you can run again. Jog a hundred yards at a time if you have to.

I’m figuring it out slowly. I’m a little worried that nutrition plays a more important role in endurance than I’m comfortable with.  But like all diets/programs you can find one that claims whatever you need it too. If heaping piles of mint chocolate chip ice cream helps athletes run better than I’m a freaking triathlete. If coffee is a miracle drink than I’m superhuman! For me though, less is more with food. When I eat smaller portions I have more energy.

 Nutrition is like religion, people pick them based on their preconceived ideas about humanity and existence, good and evil. A rare few are willing to submit themselves to a higher cause no strings attached. I guess the “worry” comes the lack of a rigorous plan for losing weight and keeping down blood pressure. I just don’t want to think about it. I enjoy certain ‘bad foods’ and I don’t want to give them up.  Ignoring problems makes them go away right?

Next big run I’ll wear double socks and buy proper shoe inserts. Still learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment