common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Monday, July 1, 2019

Day-Off Blues


I’m in a testy mood right now. It’s Monday and I had the day off work. About the only worthwhile thing I did was go to the gym this morning and lift weights. With all the running I’ve done recently the weight lifting has dropped off significantly. Not to mention I always come home after work at least one day per week and mow the lawn. So my gym days are cut to 2 per week if I’m lucky. There was a time when that would have bothered me. I don’t have the energy or strength that I used to so the switch to running has been timely.

I took a nap this afternoon, yikes right? an actual nap. I could’ve worked on my kitchen floor and finished the tiling job which is quickly running into multiple months without being complete. Laziness rears its ugly head though. Days off aren’t days to lay around and do nothing. 

Because I instinctively understand this my conscience makes me miserable throughout the day when I do nothing. Hence the testy mood. 

I avoid people when I'm in a mood like this. Last time it happened I picked up cereal at the grocery store and haggled with the poor cashier over a dollar on a box of Honey Bunches of Oats. The label on the shelf had one price, the register showed another. Apparently the low price was for 8 boxes not 1. 8 freaking boxes of cereal! who buys that much? I made the bag boy shuffle off to check, everyone was rolling their eyes, sighing heavily, stomping off to other registers and generally hating me. "I hate all of you too! Hope you choke on your food!" I thought...but didn't say. 

I stayed in today.

I started out watching the Cubs and Pirates on ESPN but the boys from Chicago started a rookie and he got shelled. After the 2nd inning they were down by 7. They kept giving up runs too even after they pulled the pitcher and began working through bullpen. I turned it off after 13-6. At some point you’re just watching the game for commentary, the win being so far out of hand.

I need to come up with a better plan for off days and stick to them. Plan a small project and do it before doing anything else. Set aside some money to buy products, house or yard, and get them the night before. I tried this once before and it proved remarkable effective. Of course I never have all the tools and products I need to do a proper job. I’m a 3 trip minimum on hardware store visits. That’s per project not per question I come up with for the employee in the plumbing department or the flooring section. It’s a little frustrating but Lowes is literally a block away so I can’t complain. Money is a little tighter than it was last year however. New cars will do that, as will the increased insurance needed for it.

All of have those things in life we’re good at. For me, exercise and fitness go in the plus column while home repair is firmly in the minus column. I’m not one who thinks every man should learn how to fix everything in the house. But I could certainly do more. Every year is a little better than the last though. I’m not totally useless. For the rest I’ll just get help. Anyway that’s what I’m working on, being more efficient with time.


No comments:

Post a Comment