common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Saturday, February 17, 2024

Routines Are A Super Power

 

Routines: The Pushy Parent You Desperately Need

I’ve been pondering the value of routine and why it’s the closest thing to a superpower that I’ll ever have. 

I’m not studying tonight. Most nights through the week I spend at least an hour, usually two, going over the ISSA (International Sports Science Association) textbook. I either make notes in the study guide or read a new section. It feels less daunting than it did when I first opened the package in the mail. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a lot to learn. But I’ve got a routine going. That’s the primary piece of success to me. Even exercise works this way. Progress is impossible if you keep changing your routine and miss big chunks of the week. When you make yourself do the same thing, day after day, it’s not as difficult. Besides I’m learning a lot about the body and nutrition. It’s interesting. 

Choices 

My writing has suffered a little. I’m not able to compose as much. But it’s a trade off I need right now. I expect that I’ll get certified as a trainer and make some extra money after I take the test. Right now I need to get the material in my head.

I ran with my group last night along the riverfront. This is becoming a new Thursday night routine that’s difficult because it’s right after work. It’s frustrating that I haven’t improved my speed any significant margin. I can run fast but I can’t carry on a conversation at the quicker pace. That’s a part of it. You need to be able to run and talk without getting out of breath. I can’t do that for very long. 

I hang in there but I don’t say much. I probably worry too much about this stuff. I’m fortunate to be able to run at all. My health is good and eat better than ever. There is a long way to go on the diet side of things. But I’ve cut down significantly on fast food and sugar. Sugar still needs to be an occasional thing and not a daily intake. Thankfully ice cream doesn’t have sugar or I’d be in real trouble (LOL).

Decisions

As for writing, the reason I’m struggling is that I don’t hardly do anything. My days are boring. What I mean is, I don’t explore enough. I attend the usual service on Saturday night at church. My group runs on Saturday morning and Thursday night. I hit the gym on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I eat breakfast with my mom on Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon is a short walk with a podcast. I talk to my cousin and Sunday night and the week begins anew.

 Already mentioned is my schedule for studying. I’m a creature of habit, but that doesn’t lend itself well to writing. 

Unless I want to blog about the news all day like Ace of Spades. He probably doesn’t make that much money but he’s found a niche. Could I do that even with a decent paycheck? For a while, yes, but I think the stream of bad news would depress me after a while. My routine keeps me going while also keeping me from busting out. Without some level of consistency, I’m not sure I would be effective at anything. Whenever I encounter a new wrinkle in my schedule, like this personal training course, I get to work establishing a routine. I’m sure even as a traveling salesman I’d do the same thing. Check into the hotel, find a place to eat and go over emails. Then wake up early and run or weight lift weights, take a shower and start meeting with my contacts for the day. I’d repeat some form of this every time I traveled. 

Habits

Does that make me unique? I don’t think so. The uniqueness might be in the level of detail on the schedule. Some are happy to play with a loose framework. Others need an hour by hour breakdown. For me, it comes down to NOT having to decide what to do. The trick with routines is taking away as many chances to say NO as possible. The more detail there is, the less chance there is to waste time. It’s why signing up for running clubs or group classes at the gym works better than just agreeing with that internal (annoying) voice that pesters you about exercise. Telling yourself things like “I should really work out more” is worthless. When you pay for it, or if it’s on a schedule you’re more likely to go. This isn’t something I looked up so I may be on thin ice here. It’s possible there is no difference but I doubt it. Additionally, having a lead role in a group is a tighter bind to that function. If you’re the one who fills the water jugs, for instance, or leads the 9 minute pace group you won’t miss.  

I’ve seen this in my own life whether volunteering at church or giving people rides to a party. These connections and responsibilities make it more likely I’ll show up. That’s half of it after all. Tight routines actually take away the ‘stay or go’ decisions that are much harder to make early in the morning. Decisions are stressful; planning is easy. Remember when your mom woke you up for school? How many times did you want to go back to sleep? The difference was you didn’t have a choice. Routine removes choice. It’s a pushy parent when you desperately need one. 

Conclusion

You can still build in off time as a reward. That’s what I’m calling tonight, my off night. Spaghetti and sausage with some garlic bread is on the menu. Friday is once again becoming a consistent pasta night for me. Another day another routine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment