common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Justice Run 23

 

Savoring the Improvements: Justice Run 2

This past weekend I completed my second Justice Run in Forth Worth.

After a rough start and a grueling finish (is there another kind?), I came in at nearly the same time as before. The morning started at 5:00 am. I woke up my brother and he woke up two of his kids, Bella and Christian. The 4 of us, and my mom, headed for the Panther Pavilion in downtown Fort Worth along the banks of the Trinity River. The marathon runs along the path following the river. It’s a 13.1 mile loop that marathoners have to run twice. The city was still under a downpour with no let up in sight. We sat under the event center canopy and waited for 7:00 am.

The race had been pushed back from the original start of 6:00 am due to heavy rainfall.

A quick look around told me those of us running numbered less than 20. The marathon doesn’t usually get as many participants anyway, but the weather clearly had an effect on the participant’s decision to show up. My brother got an alert shortly after. The organizers were pushing it back 2 hours to 9:00 am. They must have also realized it would still be dark till at least 8:00. Normally not a huge deal but with driving rain and deep puddles it could be treacherous.

We decided to go find a coffee shop and get out of the rain. We found one just a few minutes from the pavilion that would host the run. This one was on a major city block corner with impressive floor to ceiling windows facing the whole of the city. We were able to watch the weather get worse, as the morning light tried to peek through the darkness. The sun never made an appearance but the darkness relented a bit. At this point I thought they might cancel. When we went back to the pavilion a much larger crowd was there waiting to run.

The event was on after all.

I was having second thoughts about running in this miserable weather. But with all the others lining up and checking their watches I fell in line and prepped like the rest. I borrowed a hooded sweatshirt from my mom, mostly to keep the rain off my head. I didn’t bring a hat, so I had to deal with wearing it for the first half of the run. Once they shouted “GO!”, we hustled through the first few hundred feet jockeying for position. The puddles appeared shortly after that. We tried to skirt the ankle-deep water by running through the grass along the side. But when the mud threatens to hold your shoes in place, it’s best to just trot through like a hefty Clydesdale on your way to the barn. I should’ve said “carefully” trot. I noticed a few runners slipping on the mud underneath the water covering the path and took cautious steps.

Once you step in the water a few times you accept it and splash on. Your shoes won’t dry, but neither will they be full of water the whole day. It gets a little easier after that. I checked in on my pace and heart rate like I normally do. Not that it matters all that much, but I’ve never been able to keep a 10 minute pace beyond the halfway point. It always jumps up to 11 and then 12. I could run harder and keep myself at 10 but my energy level won’t allow it so late in the run. During training this isn’t a problem. My heart rate too was up in the 160s during the race, which is high for me. I like to stay just below 150.

I’ll need to do some research to figure out why my heart was thumping so quickly. I wasn’t running faster but for some reason, it was working harder. I’ve googled around since the race to get a sense of how it might have happened. Coffee is likely the culprit. I always drink one cup before a run but because of the delayed start, I had two. It’s hard to reconcile one extra cup of coffee as being the deciding factor, so let’s call it a contributor.

 If it seems like I obsess about these minor inputs, it’s because it takes a lot of work to get here. I’m still in the ‘just happy to finish’ portion of my ability. But eventually I’d like to get faster and start breaking some personal records. Along the way I hope to weed out bad habits and learn how to best prepare. The sense I get from those who’ve run a lot more than me, is that training is highly personal. What works for a similar runner won’t necessarily work for me. It’s a puzzle, a problem to be solved. I enjoy it. Mostly I like to savor the improvements, no matter how small, and be encouraged by the progress.    

The rain eventually dropped off around the 10 mile mark. The drizzle continued for most of the race. The last 4 miles or so were almost too much. I knew I’d finish at a slow clip, limping and scooting along. My knee was begging me to stop and my legs felt like I had bags of ice melt wrapped around them. Having done this before, I knew to just grit my teeth and lean forward until I passed under the bright archway with the glorious word “Finish” across the top. The pain really is temporary, but the story lasts forever.

So I’ll keep going… and thank God for His strength in my weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment