common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Thursday, March 9, 2023

Strength and Stamina: Learning to Slow Down

 



Run Slow to Run Fast

The Tulsa winter is about to break into full spring. This year hasn’t seen a lot of cold days. January and February were mild, despite being the traditional cold months. We certainly had a few cold Saturdays and will likely have at least one more. It’s early March so the potential for a freeze is still quite high. This has been a rainy week, just like the previous two. Early, consistent rain is a sign of spring. Just ask any baseball player how many rain out games they had in April.

I don’t mind getting a little wet on a jog but I avoid thunderstorms and heavy wind. Most of my daily miles are treadmill miles.

Anytime I write these running blogs I try to focus on what is different since my last post. Sometimes it’s tough to come up with new, interesting details. I guess it a lot of ways it all feels kind of the same from season to season. Summer is always tough because it’s hot, winter is easier on the lungs but harder to get outside. It’s not an exact replication from one year to the next, but it does rhyme. The biggest difference for me is my increased strength and stamina. Those might be just 2 sides of the same coin, but for me it’s the most noticeable improvement.

As a group we ran a brutal hill run a few weeks ago. I think it was 12 miles. South Tulsa is known for its hilly neighborhoods. One of the route makers took us right through an awful maze of ups and downs. I couldn’t have made that distance without walking some part of it 2 years ago. The slopes were long and occasionally steep. I noticed seasoned runners stop to walk the steeper parts of the terrain. I never had to stop but I slowed up significantly. This difficult terrain took up most of the run. Fortunately, it was a perfect 35 degrees with an overcast sky.

Even with the perfect weather the route would have beat me up years ago. My legs hadn’t developed enough muscle and my lungs weren’t as capable. It’s nice to have a real picture of what progress looks like. I can tell I’m a stronger runner than I’ve ever been. But without a visual test it’s just theory. It’s why running hills in training is crucial.

Another technique I’m learning is to run slow. I’m sure I’ve mentioned this a few times. Slow pacing in training is critical for fast pacing in marathons. At least that’s the mantra the group preaches. There are two retail stores in the area that host training groups. Runner’s World, my group, tells you to find your race pace and practice running 60 seconds slower than your ideal. Slow builds strength and stamina. The other group (Fleet Feet) is a lot more regimented from what I hear. They run in large, dedicated groups and keep a tight formation for the run. They probably have a different philosophy on training.

 I can’t say what’s better but I’ve chosen my group. Runner’s World lets you develop with the help of run leaders and experienced racers. It’s less hand holding than what I’ve seen from Fleet Feet but it’s a smaller organization too. The basic science behind going slow to go fast is that burning fat, or aerobic exercise, is more efficient for long runs. Anaerobic exercise burns up the glycogen stored in your muscles at faster paces. You have less reserve of glycogen than fat. Training slower, or at less intensity, increases stamina for marathons and even ultras. This article gives a more thorough breakdown than my clumsy paraphrasing. 

The difficulty is actually making yourself run slow. If you aren’t used to an easy jogging pace it takes effort. Group running is perfect for this when you have someone to talk to for miles. I’ve met some great people like this. And on long days we all have the time.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment