common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Saturday, October 30, 2021

"Tulsa Run" and Done

 


I ran my first Tulsa Run today.

It’s a 15k that’s the city has held every year since 1978, minus one year. You know of course which year that was, 2020 the one where we collectively lost our minds. The race is popular with Tulsans because it’s just short of a half marathon but longer than a 5K. Why is that important? The 5K isn’t really a serious run. It’s the starting point for anyone who wants to start getting in shape. Most people can do a 5K even if it pushes them to their limits. If you can’t run the whole way then walk, it’s only 3.1 miles.

But a 15K requires at least some training. It’s 9.32 miles which isn’t nothing. Without at least some regular running this one would be tough. I didn’t think the distance would be a problem for me but I was concerned that I couldn’t keep a regular pace. I did slow up in the last half but I only lost 20 seconds or so per minute. The last half was hilly so that’s my excuse. I came in at 1:23:10 or roughly 8:55 per mile.

My regular runs are in the 9:45 per minute neighborhood so I was impressed. I do think my Fitbit is off by quite a lot though. Although I imagine racing a quicker pace than I practice, I don’t think I jumped up nearly a whole minute better. Adrenaline kicks in when others run near you. There is a comradery with others that motivates everyone to give a little more. Until regular blocks of joggers start passing you, that is, and you get mad. But yeah. . . I need a new Fitbit.

The weather was chilly but great for racing. My phone said 39 degrees just before I left. I stuck with shorts and a long sleeve Tee even though I knew it would be a cold wait. The alternative is to wear something you’ll wish you didn’t though, like gloves and pants. After a few miles you’ll want to discard them. I noticed runners ahead of me doing just that. They pitched long sleeves shirts along the route as they warmed up. The sun came out and they realized their ability to work up a sweat.

Another reason to love this run is the ideal view of the business district downtown.  We started at Boston and 3rd right in front of the Performing Arts Center and turned left 2 blocks west at Boulder. From Boulder the route spilled onto Riverside and South toward 41st. This means we got to run past the Gathering Place at 31st and come back along the bike path. The bike path along Riverside, at any point, is a familiar route for most Tulsa runners. All the running groups use it and individual walkers, bikers and even fisherman frequent it.

And it makes for great pictures for the newspaper.

We followed the bike path toward 11th and turned around to get back to Boulder. It got hilly right there at the end and I saw a few who were ahead of me start walking. I nearly did myself. I’m no stranger to steep hills though. I try to get in hills at least once every two weeks. I tried to pace off this guy near the end. He ran faster than me but then would stop and walk. I passed him up and 30 seconds later he zoomed past me. He began walking again and I passed him. He flew past me again, almost spitefully. That cycle repeated itself a few times and I thought about grabbing him. For whatever reason it really irritated me. I’m laughing about it now because that irritation led to an aggressive push toward the finish.

 I determined to pass him up for good and I did.

Next time I’d like to run with a team. I did know at least 2 people there. One I saw at the finish line. He came in a minute after me. Him and his wife were both good customers at my store for years. When their kids were younger and in sports, they spend a lot of money with us. The other was a woman I used to run with at Runner’s World. She led the 1:25 pace group. That’s where I started but managed to stay just slightly ahead of them.

I’ve got enough time to sign up for the Route 66 Half Marathon in a month. I might just have to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment