common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Sunday, January 10, 2021

2021 and Run

 


What can I say about running in the cold that I haven’t already said? I’ve been fortunate so far with the weather. The wind hasn’t been a serious issue even when the temps are below 40. It’s wind more than anything else that dampens a hopeful jog. I’ll even run in the rain if it’s a steady light shower, no storms or monsoons. Last year I had a rain day in March with my group. We went 11 miles too, one of the longer ones of the season. The first few miles were miserable but after I got wet it didn’t matter. Everyone else was wet too. Rain days are more common in the spring, which is still a few months off.

I run on the treadmill during the week and outside in my neighborhood on the weekends. I say weekends because I’m never sure if Saturday or Sunday is going to work better. It’s not only weather dependent, sometimes I’m up late and I’d rather sleep in. 6:20 feels at least an hour too soon. Nothing says “go back to bed” like a chilly January morning before the sun comes up.

Two goals I have this time. First, I need to keep a slower pace to avoid injury. My foot has been a nagging problem since last year on two separate occasions and for different reasons. Supposedly the slower pace ensures less stress on your joints reducing the chance of getting hurt. I’m determined to give an honest try but so far it feels about the same, my foot I mean. The second goal is to put more effort into stretching. You don’t really stretch out your feet but your tight leg muscles can lead to foot problems. At least that’s what I think is causing the inflammation. So I stretch before and after the run and even at work during slow moments. I stretch while watching TV and roll out my legs. I have a Styrofoam roller that’s basically a ‘poor man’s’ massage. It’s one of those items you buy and wonder why you never thought about buying it before.

This being the new year and all I need to lose a few pounds. Any exercise helps a little but real weigh loss starts with food. For me less is more. I’ve done this successfully before by just cutting out certain sugary foods. Oh, and maybe not load up on seconds and thirds of every dish. That’s a tough habit to break after a workout. Anyone who lifts weights and wears themselves out knows how hungry you get when leaving the gym.  

I had a scary moment this last Sunday. I hit a patch of ice going a little too fast and slid down a hill a few feet. I got off the road as quick as possible because the ice patch was longer than I realized. I didn’t fall even though I expected to. I just don’t see ice enough on my runs to even think about it. The temperature was just below freezing though so I should have thought about it. Next time I’ll look down more often.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment