common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Consistency is a Virtue (almost)


HealthTech Impact Story – Velocitate

I went for an after work run today in the heat, 3 miles nothing crazy. My weekly schedule is usually weights, running, weights, running and then rest. No two weeks are the same but I do alternate between types of cardio on my lifting days. I’m reluctant to call them “lifting days” anymore. I do a few sets per muscle group and peddle a bike for 20 minutes. Or, I do 15 minutes on the stair climber and work the cables for a few minutes. Lifting has a kind of balls to the wall sound to it, heavy, exhausting, punishing. I don’t work out like that anymore. It takes too much out of me. 

There is a consistency to going to the gym (or running) that teaches discipline. I’m more consistent now than ever and it isn’t because I feel like doing it. When a challenging activity becomes routine it starts to pay you back. We have a loft at work that overlooks the entire warehouse. It’s our conference area, break room, zoom call meeting area and all-purpose media room. It has a staircase I run up every morning to grab my printouts. For some reason I can’t connect with other closer printers in the office area. No problem. I love the change to run full speed up the steps. I used to get winded, not anymore.

In little moments like that I feel progress. It takes getting a little older to appreciate it. We take our fitness and strength for granted in our twenties. It’s like the summer heat, constant, unchanging. But after a decade or so it becomes clear that consistent work is the only way to avoid the sluggishness and weight gain. Another way to say that is, you work harder for smaller gains. The gains still happen but they’re marginal relative to 20 years ago. But I appreciate them more now.

Consistency doesn’t sound like a real quality. It isn’t one of the big ones like honesty or kindness or bravery. It’s certainly not listed among the fruits of the spirit like love, joy, peace, patience and so on. But it’s an important characteristic for leaders to have in inconsistent times. When institutions fail and role models (defined very loosely) won’t support their own movements, people will look for consistency. This isn’t always good by the way. The swirling chaos in the country right now is blowing people to opposite ends of the street like debris. Some search for strength in mob like behavior. Others, in brave leaders that reject the onslaught of mob rule and stand on truth like they always have.

Consistency is never saying “sorry” to appease the mob. It’s taking a Biblical position on traditional marriage if that’s always been your belief. It’s defending American traditions if the rationale for those traditions hasn’t changed. Should statues be ripped down in a fit of anger whatever the reason? No. We vote on these things. Consistency is holding the line and taking the arrows even when the battle looks lost. Besides, there is always a market for truth and reason; stand on it and watch people follow. Leadership, or lack of, is the problem. It takes courage and a lot of our business CEOs, politicians and athletes don’t have it. They’re either lost in the woods with no compass, or they have a compass but no courage.

I hope I haven’t downplayed the very real struggle our leaders face and the constant assault from evil people in high places. Earlier this week James Lankford (Senator from Oklahoma) introduced a bill to replace Columbus Day with Juneteenth. Nothing against Juneteenth, but getting rid of Columbus Day is a sop to the radical left and their demands. They’re children, you don’t appease them. 

He eventually abandoned the idea. Wonder why?

Lankford seems to me like an honest man with convictions so this one surprised me. It’s just dumb. I like him and I think he’ll do well if he stands on principle, mainly don’t try to do media fluff legislation. They don’t like you so don’t bother.

Consistency is about never giving up and doing the tough work, day after day. It builds up resolve the way that running builds up the legs. You can't have courage without it.   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment