common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Friday, June 26, 2020

Big Red and Me


So You Like To Run? | brandneweyestravel

I forgot how hot it is here in the summer. I don’t mean how high the temperature gets, everyone knows that. This is Oklahoma. But how difficult it can be to do any amount of running at all in the full sun (Big Red), it’s really a nightmare.

 I read an article yesterday at work, hey gimma a break we were slow. It said running in the full sun is as difficult as trying to cut 30 seconds from your pace time in a mile. That isn’t impossible but it’s a noticeable burden on a normal run. Even mornings can be difficult if you don’t get out of the heat before it hits 80 degrees. I can struggle through a long run and drag my overheated body across the line before I collapse, assuming the temp stays low enough. What I can’t do is run a 10 miler if the sun is out the thermometer is near the mid 70s at the start. Cloudy days are better. I do shorter runs in the summer on average; anything long distance just hurts too much.

I went to the park today after work to do a 3 mile run. From experience I know 3 to 4 miles is really the most I can get when the temp is above 90. But with quicker runs I like to break up the pace with fast and slow intervals. It just makes it more of a challenge and it works toward speed training the same way the track used to. Ever since the Wu Flu virus track workouts have stopped. The college won’t allow the Tulsa Running Club to use the facilities so Tuesdays with group runs are out. It’s just as well though. The club meets at 6:00 in the evening when the sun is very warm. Some of those guys can really fly too. I don’t mean just the young ones either. A lot of the late 40s and early 50s men and women both can really move.

So to substitute for the quick, short sprint nature of track workouts I tried it at the park. It went well for the first few cycles but I just couldn’t keep it together. Big Red beat me down and I had to walk the last half mile. The interval thing was a good idea I just went  too hard at the beginning. Despite the heat, I like to run outdoors more than on the treadmill. I hate the treadmill but without it I wouldn’t get my miles in.

The foot that cause all the problems for me the last 2 months is healing nicely, but constantly sore. Being on my feet all day at work doesn’t help. I stand on a warehouse floor for most of it. I’m not complaining but it does cause regular pain that’s tough to shake. I don’t think jogging makes it any worse though. The most pain I had was when I wasn’t running at all, just getting out of bed every morning and stretching out. If anything the jogging helps toughen up the feet. At least that’s my story for now.

 I’m looking forward to a nice warm summer rain to jog through in the morning. I hope I catch one this year, before October please!


No comments:

Post a Comment