common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Sunday, February 2, 2020

New Goals New Attitudes


Image result for running in the cold"

I ran today.

Sundays are my most consistent and also favorite day. I’ve been spoiled by the low 40 degree weather these last few weeks. I write more about the weather than any other part of running because it determines so much. Rain ruins any chance of hoofing it outdoors. Spring is coming up and Oklahoma is rain and wind central. So far so good. Above 40 degrees and I go with shorts and a long sleeve tee. Below 40 and it’s cold gear tights and two shirts. Below 30 and it’s gloves and a headband. I won’t run below 20. I rarely have to, especially this year. Mild temps and early sun equal a great jog.

 I’m not bragging here but my consistency at sticking to my (very loose) plan of 15 to 20 miles a week is right on schedule. Actually I can’t remember the last time I didn’t get in the running goal I set. Would a stricter goal be like pouring water on the hot embers of my jogging passion? I don’t know but I’m meeting my goal now even though it’s light on detail. My speed has also improved so I can’t complain about that either.

I will make an effort this year to join either a running club or meet with local runners at the college track for some training. I don’t know what to expect but I understand they organize the running along pace guidelines, like ability groups. Yeah! trophies for everyone! Most people join to improve their times or get ready for an upcoming race. I haven’t signed up for any yet but I’ll keep my schedule open.

I started thinking about putting together a plan that gets me out of my routine. I can’t decide if this is a good idea or not. I’ve never been one for sticking to time or distance charts. I’m the same way at the gym. I don’t use plans that detail reps or weight totals or types of exercises. I’m afraid it would force me into a reluctant program that I just discarded later on. Maybe I won’t meet all the requirements and stop short. That lack of follow through depresses additional workouts and makes you wonder if you should keep going at all. I imagine a lot of new runners experience this. It’s the same reason New Year’s resolutions are all shot through with excuses by the second week.

 How many years did I try to quit smoking and give up because of a rough day at work?

Eventually you just get tired of fighting the battle in your head. After you give in again you start to wonder if the goal was ever possible in the first place. Or, if maybe you aren’t the kind of person who can get free and move forward. String a few of these years together and a picture of failure emerges, of inconsistency, of slavery. Only God can change the image we have of ourselves, if we let Him. Every lit a candle into one of those hollowed out holders? In a dark room the cut out from the holder puts an image on the wall. Some are heart shaped or Christmas themed, some have holes or patterned cut outs. All are made to reflect the light inside. Our hollowed out shell reflects the light inside when God takes over. He fills us with light and worth and purpose.

Until our image changes we will always struggle to improve. Self-discipline and positive thinking do some good, but big changes come with an eternal perspective. It’s never easy though even with a mindset rooted in grace. We put our efforts in God’s hands and hope for the best.

On second thought maybe I’ll set some new running goals.  

 “No, in all these things we are more than victorious through Him who loved us”. (Romans 8:37)  


No comments:

Post a Comment