common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Up and to the Right



Image result for city running in the cold
On running, I like to evaluate data points.

 I like to compare last year’s highs to this year’s. I’m not obsessive about it. I don’t write any of these numbers or times down. I have a working total in my head. I know when I’m up; I know when I’m down. As long the overall picture of success keeps improving and pushing for better, I’m doing what I should be.

 I guess if anything sticks out it’s that I’m kind of settling into a comfortable routine, 3 days a week with a long run on Sunday. I’m a little worried that this level of comfort will lead to complacency but it’s taken a while to get here and I don’t imagine I’ll throw it away. There will be weeks when I don’t get as much running in due to weather or injury or sickness, but a missed day here and there won’t throw me off that much. So far this winter is shaping up to be a cold one (by Oklahoma standards). Cold I can deal with but wet and stormy is a terrible mix and I hope we avoid a lot of the miserable days.

I’m back to getting hitting the gym before work instead of after. The change works better for me; I get up earlier now and coming home right after work gives me a lot more time to listen to podcasts and write. Going to bed a little earlier is a necessary adjustment. I thought getting out of bed a full hour earlier would bother me but it hasn’t, especially now that we’ve turned the clocks back an hour.
I might start running outdoors during the week. The downside is I live in the city and during the week the traffic is overwhelming. I don’t like jogging 5 or 6 feet from rush hour traffic so I would have to stay in the neighborhood. I’m not crazy about jogging in my neighborhood, too many dogs. It’s a true city neighborhood anyway, small lots and no sidewalks. I don’t have as much time during the week anyway. Sundays are fine for running through the city; I go early and the traffic is basically non-existent before 8:00 am. I use the treadmill at the gym which I used to hate but have actually gotten comfortable with.

The big race of the year is coming up and won’t be able to do it. The Route 66 Marathon (and Half Marathon) happens every November, usually right before Thanksgiving, and friends who’ve done it swear it’s the most fun they’ve had at an organized race. I’m committed to a church event the same week and although it sounds like a volunteer thing I could get out of, it’s actually pretty important so I can’t blow it off. I’m fine with it. I don’t live for these races the way some others do. I’ll join one when I can but I don’t exercise to compete. For me the joy is in making improvements and getting better, taking a look at where I was a year ago and drawing a line connecting the two.
As long as the line is still up and to the right, I’m happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment