common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Fall Jogging


Image result for jogging in fall

It’s getting chilly in Tulsa, the good kind of chilly; the kind we welcome after a long hot summer. But just because the first night below 40 degrees hits in mid-October, it doesn’t mean the chill is here to stay. We’ll have plenty of warm afternoons and cool mornings until December arrives. Even then we tend to move slowly into winter like an elderly man climbing steps. No matter though, the snow melts pretty quickly on average. I’m looking forward to colder weather running again. If nothing else the heat makes it difficult to get your weekly miles in. Getting up and running in the cold is no treat for the first mile, but when your extremities warm and your muscles loosen up you put in more distance for less effort. I don’t run in anything below 30 degrees though.   

This past Sunday’s weather was ideal for joggers. I was surprised to see so few of them out considering the temp of 45 degrees with full sun is almost perfect. I managed 10.25 miles and felt like I could eek out another couple of miles if I had to. I usually manage to go between 8 and 10 on Sunday (my long day) but I’m always ready to crawl to the finish when the temps are hot. My biggest mistake this time was not wearing a thicker shirt. When it gets sweaty the cool air blows through the wet fabric making it feel like I'm running through a spring storm. A little chill in the air is ideal though.

I carried a bottle this time. I’d seen others run with a contoured squirt bottle that wraps neatly around your hand. I bought one when I was in Colorado and only used on that disastrous trail run. I had yet to bring it on one of my longer runs even though it’s perfect. The idea being ‘stay hydrated and avoid frequent stops at drinking fountains dry mouthed and overheated’.

This is probably a silly concern but I was afraid I’d get irritated with the swinging motion of a heavier bottle in one hand and nothing in the other. I couldn’t exactly change my mind after a few miles and throw it away either. But it worked out great and I didn’t need to stop along the way. I didn’t even notice the swinging motion after a while. Besides, I’d rather have the water when I need it. I can’t believe I didn’t get one for those hot days in the summer. Oh well, next year.

I’m not signed up for any half marathons yet. I would do the Route 66 one in mid -November but I have a commitment I can’t get out of. I’m working during the Tulsa Run, which is only a 15K but is a popular event around here. As long as I keep my schedule of running 3 days every week I’ll never be too out of shape for a race. I don’t see doing a full marathon anytime soon though. I know the amount of work it takes to get into 26 mile shape, and I’m not interested right now.

The fall is the best time to run in Oklahoma. It’s the first time I made real strides in my overall distance and it’s the best time to make new ones.  

No comments:

Post a Comment