common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Friday, November 2, 2018

Routines To the Rescue


Image result for silhouette habits

Regular habits and healthy routines lay the groundwork for productive people; the more you have the more effective you are.

Most people have probably noticed the headlining grabbing “Successful Habits of the Rich”, or “Routines of Successful CEOs”. Usually they’re just Buzzfeed style lists with some quirky facts. Apparently Tim Cook (Apple CEO) starts texting his colleagues at 4 a.m. about projects, questions, answers. Mark Cuban tries to work out for an hour a day with basketball and kickboxing. The routines vary but one thing they have in common is they constitute a plan for individuals to map out the day. Even people who aren’t as busy will benefit from starting and ending the day with a plan.  

I have better routines now than I had in the Army, and much better than college. Although, the regular exercise and hot breakfast is hard to beat in the military. I still exercise but not every day. I run quite a bit and life weights at least 3 times per week. Going to the gym for me is better after a day of work instead of before. Mostly because of the later hours, I don’t get moving before 8 in the morning. For most people 8 o’clock is too late. But I don’t even start work until after 9. For now anyway, evening exercise is perfect. When I don’t go after work I feel like I missed something critical.

I started reading scripture every morning about 5 years ago. I need that critical jolt of truth even more than I need coffee. Without it I feel lost. Ever need your front end aligned on the car? The steering wheel starts puling in one direction and you need to correct it back to center? Usually it happens because you hit a pothole or hit a curb too hard. It’s a simple fix for a tech--put the front end on a machine and tighten or loosen the tie rods. When I don’t put in time reading the Bible I my sense of direction gets off-center and needs a reset.  

Another value from routines is in reducing the number of choices you need to make every day. Fewer choices equal less stress. I remember having a math class my 2nd year of college. I managed to put it off for the first semester so I wasn’t looking forward to it. It was pretty basic by math standards, but I’m pretty basic by learning standards. I developed a system of doing my assigned homework right after class. My mind was still in logical left brain land so it made sense to do the work right away. It took at least an hour every day and I struggled all the way through it. But I did it. I started early and after a few weeks I didn’t have to force myself to open the text and begin figuring. I developed a habit, of doing assigned work and took the decision to sit and watch “SportsCenter” instead, out my hands. 

Routines put your mind in a kind of autopilot.

Even though regular habits seem like drudgery, they provide us with better productivity and more flexibility. I’ve gotten good at doing certain academic things early, writing and research, reading and journaling. College actually helped me with this. But other parts of life like work around the house or fixing changing the oil in the car are still put offs for me. Everyone who procrastinates understands the problems with it. Projects get the half-assed treatment and sometimes get missed altogether. With some simple changes in routine, procrastination will cease to be a stumbling block.

Routines make every other decision in life easier.   

No comments:

Post a Comment