common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Monday, June 18, 2018

Running High


Image result for running silhouette

I’ve been consistently running on Sunday mornings for 3 miles when the weather is warm. I’m usually a finicky runner when it comes to cold weather but I do enjoy the heat.  3 miles is my limit for now. I have time in the morning to run further but so far I’m out of breath by 3 and I haven’t pushed it yet. I hope to be at 6 miles by the end of summer although the heat in Oklahoma makes 3 miles quite a challenge. The first leg of the job, say a half mile, is the worst. It takes me at least that far to get into a groove with steps and breathing. I run at a popular family park on a track that surrounds an 18 hole public golf course. Luckily it includes hills. If I ever get to the point where I want to run a half marathon, the hills are great practice. Nothing prepares you for those city runs like a park that includes hilly spots throughout. Most competitive events are early in the morning anyway where the heat isn’t a big issue.

There is something about running that helps clear the head. Walking works as well but doesn’t come with the constant discomfort of achy joints and labored breathing. It could be the sweat or the endorphins, but it feels like accomplishment every time I complete my goal. It isn’t just fitness and staying healthy. I enjoy the challenge of setting out on a journey, a short one for sure, and seeing it to the end. It feels like life I guess. 3 miles probably doesn’t seem like a long stretch for a lot of runners, but it isn’t the distance that counts, it’s the improvement. In other words where did you start? Can you look back after a few years and see an increase in distance or pace? I can’t really compare with the distance or pace that I keep at 20 years old in the Army. That’s an age thing though. Few people are more fit at 39 than 20. I took it for granted that I’d always be able to run without pain.

But compared to 30 years old I’m better able to handle heat and distance. The pace has dropped off a little but I guess that’s normal. Two miles used to be a great workout for me. I could finish at around 8 minutes per mile. As soon as I added another mile the time dropped precipitously to around 8 and a half. I don’t know what it would be at 6, twice the distance, but I imagine over 9 minutes.

I see others on the path, walking, running, pushing strollers and holding leashes for dogs. Some have ear buds and listen to music. I’ve tried that but it seems distracting to me. Besides I can’t run with a phone in my pocket. It bounces around and the cord comes unplugged. I must be a violent runner too because my arms swing getting caught up in the bobbing cord. Next thing that happens is the cord gets torn from either the phone end or the ear buds get ripped out mid stride. Even if I could run with music I wouldn’t want to. The point is to clear the mind and focus with the stress of an increased heart rate. 

I breath heavy too. Whenever I am passing someone on the side I watch their terror stricken face as I jog past them sounding like a frustrated mugger. Assuming they don’t have headphones in they hear me coming and brace for the worst. At least it seems so. I’ve tried to work on this too. I remember jogging on a very windy day and approaching two ladies out for walk. I knew they wouldn’t hear me yelling from behind “Left Side!” because of the strong winds. So I waited until I was within shoving distance and shouted “Left Side!” They both shrieked and jumped a little. My pathetic “Sorry!” was certainly lost to the wind as they regained composure.

I should increase the amount of time I run per week but I’m really content just doing one day for now. I still do other types of cardio and weight training throughout the week. I don’t care to replace those traditional workout days with a strict set of running guidelines. Besides, my feet need a break. I’ve had heel pain in the past and I’m not eager to increase the pounding that one day of running dishes out.

For now I’ll keep the routine I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment