common sense

"there is no arguing with one who denies first principles"

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Husbandry in the City: Sowing and Reaping

 


Husbandry isn’t a word we hear too much today. I caught it on a TV show the other day and wondered when the last time was I’d heard it, or read it. I had to scan the interwebs to make sure I got the exact definition right. Animals and agriculture come to mind, but that’s just one part of it. Animal Husbandry is raising livestock and/or breeding animals and everything that comes with the care of animals.

The second part of it, the more general part is what interested me, care of resources in the earth. If you own a vineyard you practice husbandry by growing and harvesting the crop. It works for family gardens and raising pitbulls too.  

I’ve noticed that kids raised on farms and ranches grow up quicker than those of us city folks. It’s not an accident. Responsibility grows us up like nothing else. Being forced to finish chores before 6 a.m. on a farm is a lot different than doing chores in a suburban bungalow. Animals die if you forget to feed them and land grows wild if you neglect it. What happens if you forget to make your bed or wash dishes? Just do them later, or wait till tomorrow. The consequences of neglect are high on a farm.

The closest many of us will come to being responsible for the land and resources is with our yards. Mowing, raking, pulling weeds and planting spring flowers creates in us a sense of husbandry for our little patch of earth. Sure Ok, the stakes are a bit lower but the husbandry idea is there. Land ownership encourages care for land, but more than that it creates in us a sense of stewardship for our resources. Stewardship leads to pride when we begin something and watch it grow.

This is true for learned skills as well like learning a foreign language or starting a business.

We don’t just watch it grow of course, we nurture and protect and feed our gardens and lawns. We watch the weather for rain, wind and snow. We prune out weeds and keep birds from eating the new growth. Often we lose plants to heat or erosion. Some years the rain is too frequent, drowning our young produce and turning it to mush. Our best efforts aren’t always enough.  

I’m probably stretching the meaning of the word “husbandry” a bit by scaling it down. The tendency today is to scale everything up. Most farms are corporate and highly efficient, tuned in to soil quality and water level.

 But it’s the meaning of the word that interests me. Husbandry is essentially sowing and reaping; in the literal sense as well as in a metaphorical one. It’s the process of starting and finishing while growing in the process. Our projects grow through our efforts and inputs, but our lives are also subject to the same pattern. Our Heavenly Father plants us and gives us a job, the same is true for carrots or sheep or cattle. Grow and multiply.

The principles of God’s Kingdom are found in planting and harvesting. It’s the actual currency with use to thrive. The cyclical nature ensures, it functions even when we are unaware of it. Care is rewarded, neglect is punished.

I started raking leaves just yesterday. I won’t pretend I love to rake leaves and bag them up all afternoon. It actually takes a few days but I’ve got it down to a science. Rake and bag the first half, blow and mulch the second half. As far as chores go I kind of enjoy it. It gives me a chance to listen to a long form podcasts while working. I don’t get the chance too often.

Being outdoors for more than a few hours forces me to notice how much cleaner my yard is since I first moved in 12 years ago. The back fence line was a jungle of neglected weeds and invasive grasses that the city had to come out and cut back. It was so tall it started to interfere with the overhead electric lines that cross my property. I didn’t attack it all at once. It took years of cutting, pulling and digging roots to have a clean space.

I’ve added a few landscaped areas since, had 2 trees cut down and replanted more grass seed than I care to think about. Much of it’s been a failure. This soil requires a lot of water and I’m too cheap (and lazy) to bother with it every year. But overall the place is an improvement. Husbandry provides a sense of satisfaction that you can’t get any other way. I’ve paid for others to work on my property, but it doesn’t feel the same.

The reason is simple, sowing and reaping. Our projects grow as we do. You want to understand husbandry, get a garden or a lawn and grow with it. Watch it change you. It's the way God intended.  

“For he who sows to the flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.” (Galatians 6:8) NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment